Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Antwerp vs. Brussels?

Any suggestions on which one to do? I only have time in my trip for one of these places and I%26#39;m not sure which one would be better. Traveling will be two friends one male and one female 30 years of age. Looking for great architecture and excitement.




|||



hi,



all depends on what you are looking for.



No doubt there are interesting things to see in Brussels as well I can only tell you that visiting Antwerp serves you great features for architecture sightseeing and, quit important, practically all within walking distance.



Many old building construction in the historical center, like eg. the cathedral OLV (14th century), city hall, %26quot;guild%26quot;-houses on Grote Markt (square in front of city hall), house of the painter Rubens, pittoresque streets, many museums and...good shopping and dining availabilities to. Last but not least a beautiful zoo.



Enjoy your stay



welcome to Belgium




|||



Personally I preferred Antwerp much more than Brussels. Both have the architectural details, but Antwerp seemed more relaxing and pleasing to the eye.




|||



I used to work for a long time in Antwerp, followed by another job in Brussels. I am still working in Brussels now but I am convinced that I will hardly go back to this town after my retirement. There is a lot of fake and a lot of false romantism about this town which more and more has sold out its identity. Take my advice, visit Antwerp, you won%26#39;t regret.




|||



I can%26#39;t speak for Antwerp but having been to Bruges, Ghent %26amp; Brussels I have to say that Brussels was a disappointment for us.





Outside of the main Grand Place %26amp; the area where the market is held, this is a large, modern bustling city (it is the european parliament capital)and did not really appeal to us as a short break destination





We did find a really great war museum in the city, however the majority of marketing pictures for the city seem to concentrate on the Grand Place %26amp; we were really surprised how small this was.





Ghent was, for us, in a different league as a long weekend visit

No comments:

Post a Comment