Monday, April 23, 2012

Paris to Bruges for a day trip late August

I need VERY specific instructions on getting from Paris to Bruges (can be via Brussels) for a day trip. I will be in Paris at the end of August and can do this on a weekend or a weekday - whichever will be easier. I believe I have to get a train from Gare du Nord, but after that, I am puzzled re: what train line, going to which train station in Brussels, and then once in Brussels, how I get to Bruges, whether I catch a train in the same train station I arrive in, etc. What train line is the train from Brussels to Bruges?



I need very specific instructions. I can%26#39;t seem to figure it out. I thought I had posted this question a few weeks ago but I cannot trace it so I am sorry if this is a repeat.




|||



hari.b-holding.be/Hafas/bin/query.exe/en?





Try this site out, it%26#39;s our national railroad site. Don%26#39;t worry about switching trains, it%26#39;s easy. I believe you can take a train straight from brussels north to %26#39;Blankenberghe%26#39;, they will take a stop in Brugge.




|||



since you intend to take the trip for just a day, you will have to go the fastest way and that is by Thalys.



You will need to buy the return ticket in advance as Thalys requires reservation, and the ticket needs to be to Any Belgian Station. Thalys takes 1.22 hours to Brussels Midi/Zuid where you will need to change to any train (preferably the fastest) for Brugge. The journey from Brussels to Brugges will take about 1 hour. Your Thalys ABS ticket will cover the whole trip. Some Thalys trains continue to Brugges but not that many and you%26#39;d need to check the website.It is actually very easy to do.




|||



tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188671-i448-k29…





Thats your question of June.





You%26#39;ve also posted on the Paris forum.





If you click on %26quot;My Tripadisor, look under %26#39;contributions%26#39;, Forums.





Or just click on %26quot;more about missmerryberry,to find your old posts.




|||



I don%26#39;t know what your budget is but my husband and I ran into this dilema last year. So...instead of taking the train we hired Must Limo%26#39;s in Paris to take us there and back. My husband said that was one of the best decisions (and trips) I%26#39;d made. It was more expensive than the train but less than some bus tours and we had more time in Bruges. See my post for Must Limo%26#39;s for more details if your interested. Good Luck and Have Fun!!!!!




|||



We just did this trip last week. It was plenty of time in Brugges for us plus we spent about 2 hours in Brussels.





You can take an early morning Thalys from Paris to Brussels. Then look at the train schedule boards in Brussels and find the next train to Brugges. Make sure you get a Thalys ticket that is for ALL BELGIAN TRAINS and then you don%26#39;t need a separate ticket. It is easy to find the gate.





Once in Bruges everything is in easy walking distance.





You have to make sure you leave enough time to get back to Brussels so we took an earlier train and had time to walk in Brussels. Didn%26#39;t really like Brussels until we got to the Mannekin Pis and square. The rest around the train station is dirty.





Got back to Paris around 9:30 pm.





Easy to do. If you need other info, post me directly.




|||



The Thalys ticket you need to cover you beyond Brussels itself is not for %26quot;All Belgian Trains%26quot; but %26quot;Any Belgian Station%26quot;. This should be obvious from www.thalys.com, as it should ask you where you want to travel to.



As the only direct Thalys from Paris to Brugge is in the evening, to do this journey in the morning you will need to change in Brussels (gare du Midi).



So you would be taking Thalys from Paris-Nord to Bruxelles-Midi (1h22), and from there a normal InterCity (IC) train to Brugge (1 hr). At Midi, look for the next train going to Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge, these stop at Ghent and Brugge only.



Your Thalys ticket will show a seat reservation on the Thalys train (carriage and seat number) but not on the IC train, as seats cannot be reserved on domestic trains. You can take any convenient train to Brugge, there are 2 or 3 an hour. You do not need another ticket for the local train, just present your Paris-Bxl Thalys ticket when the ticket inspector comes around.



On return, obviously it is the Bxl-Paris ticket that you present to cover you on the train from Brugge to Bxl.




|||



Just to clarify ... on the Thalys website, you will chose %26#39;Bruxelles-Midi/Brusell-Zuid ABS%26#39; from the drop-down menu under %26quot;Going To.%26quot; It must have the ABS at the end for All Belgian Stations.





thalys.com/fr/…any-belgian-station




|||



Can anyone please clarify for me... I am buying tickets that are exchangable once but what exactly is the process for this? If the weather is bad, I will want to change the date. How do I do this (I will be based in Paris) and will there be an upcharge? Thanks very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment