Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bruges to Ypres

Hi again





How easy is it to get to Ypres from Bruges on public transport?




|||



I did this last month. There is one change of train, in a town called Kortijk(sp?) the man at the ticket counter told me the name of it when I bought my ticket. Frequent trains. Trip took about two hours including wait time. I went to see the Flanders Field museum, which I really enjoyed. Wished I could spend more time in the area to visit all the WWI sites. I very carefully wrote down the times of all the trains back, to make sure I could get back to Bruges that evening!




|||



Thank you WarriorJan, was it 2hrs there and 2hrs back please?




|||



Each way takes about 1.45 minutes, the trains run hourly and the change stop is Courtrai.



http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/




|||



Thank you KVKFan, I will try to fit that in to our trip.





X




|||



You should try to visit Ypres if possible but whatever you decide have a great time.




|||



Yes, I really would like to visit the Menin Gate as I have a reli named there.





I have noted the Last Post ceremony at 8.00 and wondered about availabilty of transport in the evening.





We are so looking forward to the trip, I am sure we will have a nice break.





X




|||



hari.b-holding.be/hafas/bin/query.exe/en…





train at 20.39 one change, train 21.39 2 changes



From Menin gate to the station about 20 minutes brisk walk.




|||



You change trains at KORTRIJK: you are unlikely to see the French version (Courtrai) in station/train destination signs in Flanders!




|||



Very proud of myself that I was able to decipher my handwriting and spell it right! Most definitively Kortrijk was the name of the station, not the French spelling. I was writing notes at the different stations we passed on the train, i.e. this town looks cute, wish I could stop. After being at the museum, many of the towns had been mentioned as being under German occupation, or the site of this or that battle, or how many times it changed hands, etc. which put a different perspective on my ride back.



According to my notes, the last train out of Kortrijk to Bruges was at 10:02. I never checked into the two transfer alternative, and actually didn%26#39;t stay into the evening, so have no personal experience on that. Make sure to check the current board in the station for the track numbers, the permanent one tacked on the wall was usually different than the one the train actually used.



This reminds me that I%26#39;ve been lazy and never wrote my trip report, so have to get cracking today!




|||



good point, Kortrijk = Courtrai

No comments:

Post a Comment