Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Aviation Buff & Accommodation advice

Are there any aviation museums near or around Bruges? What%26#39;s there to do/see in Flanders Field...how far is it from Bruges? I%26#39;m leaving in 10 days for BRU, then onto Bruges. Since I fly standby how difficult will it be to get reservations in Bruges upon arrival? Are tourist desks at airport or rail stations likely to help?




|||



1) The Air Museum is in Brussels (1 hr from Brugge by train then metro to Mérode) but if you are going to Ieper, Kortrijk is on the way and at nearby Wevelgem you have the %26quot;Flying Legends Collection%26quot;, see www.geocities.com/flyinglegends_collection



/index.html.



2) The %26quot;In Flanders Fields%26quot; Museum, see www.inflandersfields.be, is in Ieper (Ypres) about 1 1/2 hrs by train from Brugge, changing in Kortrijk. For timetable see http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en



3) At this time of year it should be easy enough to get a hotel in Brugge. There are tourist information desks at Brussels Airport (though possibly more focussed on Brussels) and of course in Brugge itself, but it might be a good idea to pick a place you like (see list with TA members%26#39; ratings under %26quot;Bruges Hotels%26quot; on the left of this page) and take the details with you.




|||



The Army Museum (admission free) in Brussels has a large hanger with many aircraft. The emphasis is on military aircraft, but there are some civilian models also. Across the courtyard is a very good Auto Museum (not free).





Before I started using the Internet ( www.booking.com ) to book my hotels, I relied exclusively on the local tourist offices. The one at the Grand Place in Brussels always found me a decent room in my price range. The people behind the desk were always a pleasure to deal with.




|||



Great! Thanks for your suggestions. That will definitely keep me busy for my 3 night stay.




|||



I%26#39;m happy you%26#39;ve had luck with booking.com. From what I%26#39;ve read about them on the web, I won%26#39;t trust them. Thanks again for tips on the Air Museum. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment