Thursday, March 29, 2012

Travel from Amsterdam to Ghent at night

Could anyone advise me about the possible problems of travelling from Amsterdam to Ghent in the evening. I had planned to travel with a friend but they have had to cancel the trip. My plane lands in Amsterdam at 15.45, and we had planned to take a train from Amsterdam to Ghent. As I understand it I will have to take a train from Amsterdam Centraal to Antwerp and from Antwerp to Gent-St. Pieters. I am not sure how long it takes to get through customs and hence what time I will get to Ghent. I am not sure how safe it is to travel alone at night as a lone woman, and if I get into Ghent very late whether there are available taxis to get to the hotel and if the hotel will be open. I expect that it will cold at the beginning of November, and I would not like to find myself without accommodation. Has anyone done this trip who can advise me about whether it is ill advised to travel at night?





|||



Hello, I live in Ghent. If you land in Amsterdam at 15.45, I would say you would be able to catch a train from Amsterdam Airport at 17.10 hrs (or 18.10, 19.10 and so on, there is an hourly departure). This means you will arrive in Antwerp around 19.00 and depending on your connection to Ghent around 20.00. There are taxis waiting outside the station exit in Ghent (at your right side). I do not know the name of your hotel in Ghent, but all major hotels here have day and night reception. Ghent is quite safe. I have several Australian friends, feel free to send me a personal message if you need more information.




|||



Thank you for this information, I am most grateful as I have not visited Europe previously. I am going to stay at the Erasmus Hotel. Is it an ICB train that I should catch from Schiphol station?




|||



Yes an IC train is the one you should take, not Thalys, as Thalys can only be booked in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment