Thursday, March 29, 2012

Between Christmas and the 1.January

Hi everyone,





I searched this and found outdate info from previous years. I am planning on either spending New Year in Paris or Brussels. Brussels has the added benefit that for the dates I may be arriving 27/28 December I may still be able to see some Christmas spirit in Brussels, Brugge, etc.





So I would like to know, if there normally is fireworks at the Grand Place or elsewhere within a walking distance.





Also, I found the reference to the Winter market and http://www.plaisirsdhiver.be/en/index.aspx with the light show, but the website is outdated. However in brusselsinternational.be/wabxlint/… it says 27/11/2009 - 03/01/2010. Can someone confirm this?





How is the weather normally that time of year? Snow or heavy rain?





Is it pleasant out on the streets (I know cold)?





If I use Brussels as a base, where would you suggest I visit? Brugge (was there already, and loved it, so will definitely be back). Other suggestions?





Should we rent a car? There will be 4 of us. Or is it more convenient to get one (or 2) rail carnet with 10 journeys for about €70 and split the tickets?





Also, we will most likely fly into Charleroi with ryanair. On the shuttle bus website they seem to be working on the 1.January.2010. Should I assume they will be working since they show ticket availibility or should I expect public transport not to work that day?





I would love to hear your thoughts on this very preliminary plan.






|||



I think we might stay a couple more days and only leave on 3.January. Any clues as to what to do on 1.Jan or will everything be closed? I hope that the xmas markets that are advertised as running until 4 or 5 January will be open.





This website lists some of the markets open beyond New Year.



http://www.christmasmarkets.com/Belgium.html




|||



I know I am pushing my luck now, since I have not received any reply to my earlier request, but just wanted to add a quick question: will the trains be running on the 1-January?





Thanks.




|||



To answer last question first, in Europe public transport runs on public holidays, according to Sunday timetable; so of course, there will be trains and buses, metros etc. on 1 January. The Charleroi shuttle, however, is not part of the public transport system, it%26#39;s a private coach contracted to the airlines that use CRL, however of course this must be running on any day when there are flights.



There will be fireworks on New Year%26#39;s Eve, usually from the Albertine Gardens, people gather to watch them on Mont des Arts and also in the Grand%26#39; Place (if you go to the latter, watch out for stupid drunken youths setting off firecrackers behind people).



The dates you mention are those I have seen for the Winter Market, the Plaisirs d%26#39;Hiver site itself may not be updated until just before it starts, as Christmas does not get underway here (thank goodness) until after St. Nicolas on 6 December.



I can%26#39;t advise on what would be the best way to travel as you don%26#39;t say where you want to go except Brugge; as single tickets to Brugge would cost more than €7.30, unless you are going at the weekend (when weekend return is cheaper) it is worth doing this using 8 of the 10 trips on a €73 railpass. However, if you were going to, say, Leuven or Antwerp (or even Ghent), it would be better to buy individual tickets as they cost less than €7.30.



Regarding renting a car, consider where you are going to put it - parking is difficult and expensive in Brussels, and not all hotels have a garage. In Brugge you will have to leave it on the outskirts: there%26#39;s a free car park at the station (but then you might as well have arrived by train). If you just want to go to towns and cities, you can do this perfectly well by train, but if you wanted to visit WWI battlefields around Ieper, or small villages in the Ardennes, a car would be useful.




|||



qaminari, you are really an expert!! I thank you for your patience and for helping me with all my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment