Friday, March 23, 2012

Traveling from Brussels to Spa Belgium

I found one link from the above post which still works. If anybody knows of current links which are active - or has helpful tips for how to get from Brussels to Spa, I%26#39;d love to know. Does anybody know if you have to have a train ticket in advance, in Late October, or if it%26#39;s ok to just arrive, find the station, and buy it when we arrive during the day? Thanks!




|||



I don%26#39;t know what link you are talking about (usually questions about getting to Spa are in fact about Francorchamps) but of course you don%26#39;t have to have a ticket in advance, you just turn up at the station and buy it on the day of travel (or whenever you like, as long as you specify the date of travel).




|||



I think the place you are talking about is where they have the world famous racetrack. Where I am going is called the %26#39;domain of Sol Cress%26#39;, and apparently it%26#39;s close to another place called Thermes. I%26#39;ve heard that Sol Cress can be reached on foot in 15 minutes, or %26quot;by the new funicular which links the centre of Spa to the Thermal baths%26quot;. Now I just have to figure out what a funicular is. It would be ok for me to just wing it, but my boyfriend is very clear that he wants me to know how to get where we%26#39;re going. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks again




|||



The place I am talking about is the town of Spa in the Ardennes, I also referred to the fact that most questions on this website that mention Spa are about getting to the racetrack at Spa-Francorchamps, which is why I don%26#39;t know which links of the %26quot;above post%26quot; (not copied in your question) you might be referring to and whether they are relevant to getting to Spa itself (since the racetrack is more easily reached from Verviers).



%26quot;Thermes%26quot; is the French for what in English we now call Spa - precisely because of the original ones in Spa in Belgium! It means thermal baths/establishment - where you can take thermal treatments using the waters.



You don%26#39;t need a travel website to tell you want a funicular is, just an English dictionary. It is a perfectly well-known English word for a type of cable railway but in terms of function, you can think of it as an %26quot;elevator%26quot; if you prefer.



All you need to do, it seems to me, is take a train from Brussels to Spa (you don%26#39;t say where in Brussels you are staying so I can%26#39;t tell you what would be the nearest station) and a taxi from the station in Spa to the domaine (which in this case means holiday - vacation to you - complex). Here is a map, if you zoom out a bit you can see the station - blue train symbol below Avenue Reine Astrid: http://maps.google.be/maps?f=q%26amp;hl=EN%26amp;q=Spaloumont+5%2C4900+SPA%2CBelgium



If you want a taxi phone number in your pocket, in case there isn%26#39;t one at the station when you get there, this is for Spa Taxis: (precede by +32 from outside Belgium, 0 from within Belgium) 87 77 01 02.




|||



Hey, Thank you so much for your information. I did understand that I had to look up those words - but it was late at night when I posted my response. That funicular sounds great. The closest thing we have to it in California is a ski-lift, and there is a tourist attraction in Palm Springs where you can take a closed compartment lift to see the sights at the top of a big hill. I am going there for a conference, not as a tourist, but the thermal baths sound awesome too.





Oh yes, and it%26#39;s my first time using this site. I thought that the %26#39;above links%26#39; would show up ... now I know...





We are arriving by plane to the International Airport in Brussels, and then we%26#39;ll be taking the train. I have seen there are three train stations, and if you can tell me which one would be best to take; that would be great. I totally appreciate your help so far, whether you can get back to me on this question, or not! Thanks again. :)




|||



If you want to go to Spa straight from Brussels airport (BRU), you need not in fact take the train from there into Brussels at all. Depending on your time of departure, it may be more convenient to take the train to Leuven, change there for Verviers Central and again in Verviers for Spa (total travel time about 2 1/2 hrs). At other times, it would be more convenient to come into Brussels and change at Bruxelles-Nord (first stop on the airport train) for Liège. Otherwise, it wouldn%26#39;t really matter which Brussels station you decide to start from, the airport train stops at Nord, Central and Midi in that order, whereas trains to Verviers and Liège stop at Midi then Central (faster ICE trains to Liège miss this out) then Nord, travelling in the opposite direction. There are no direct trains to Spa from Brussels, you always have to change at Verviers.



Just put your date (or another date for the same day of the week) and approximate time of departure into reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en.



Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment